August 26, 2019 The Great Hermano Lopez






Hello all!

The man in Pepboys this week was convinced I'm Swedish. He kept immitating my "accent," so now I think I've got a bit of an identity crisis! It doesn't help that everyone else persists in either complimenting my Spanish, or asking me several minutes into the conversation whether I understand them. "Do you know what a melon is? MEL-ON. The fruit? You eat it? Looks like this?" 

I think being a missionary makes you a little (lot!) passive agressive too. We've been trying to start teaching this sweet sister that we met in the street who told us her husband is a member. She asked us to come by when he's not home, which we found confusing but respected. We kept trying at all hours of the day, but his big red truck was always there and we were worried it was his. Finally, after more than a month of fighting to get in and see her, we got fed up! We decided to risk it, and went ahead and knocked, truck in the driveway and all. Sure enough, Poli opened the door. We sweetly explained who were were and what we did as missionaries --as if we hadn't stood on his doorstep dozens of times-- and Poli sweetly stood there listening and then told us he was Catholic. I wasn't having it! I pulled my favorite response, which is to get really excited and tell them you know how much they must love the Bible (which is a perfect lead in to what they will love if they love the Bible--the Book of Mormon!). Poli thought he was smarter than me and told us he really doesn't read much, which was a bad move because we LOVE to read the scriptures with people! We almost got poor Poli all signed up to do "Come, Follow Me." We weren't able to set an appointment with him, but we left as friends and hopefully helped him remember a little what he once felt. 

This week we were blessed to start teaching Eusevio and Fulgencio. I struggled too! I kept trying to bless Fulgencio in our companionship prayer and would get as far as "Fool--" before I'd forget the last bit. 

Another highlight of the week was lunch with little Hermano Lopez, a 81 year old recent convert who comes out to lessons with us in 100 degree weather and doesn't bat an eye. He had invited his cleaning lady, and even made us all little pudding cups. I could have cried. The best moment was when I asked him his favorite pastime.  "Singing," he replied, "but I'm too old now." I asked if he'd been in a band. "I was until I was route-manager," he told us. Turns out he was a fully-blown Mexican cantante (professional singer), a boxer, a newspaper columnist, a miner, and also helped to build the dome for the Apollo 13 mission. He also knows how to knit socks! He has the pictures to prove it. There was one in a submarine we had no chance to ask about...

On an Hno Lopez note, he has taught me so much about missionary work. Unlike Hno Esteves he doesn't march around the street throwing pass-along cards like candy, and he doesn't have any big fancy thing to say about the gospel. He just loves it, and loves it so much he looks for every oportunity to share it. No one sits alone at an activity. No cleaning lady goes "unmet" by the missionaries. He asked if someone we are teaching could use a white shirt for church. It's all quietly done,  and they are simple things, but he's every inch a missionary. I used to think so much of "missionary work" as something you did. Something you prayed for, and then had to be ready to act on when the occasion came up. Ready to recite some scriptures! Really though, it's more about who we are, and seeking opportunities to share our testimonies by the way we live and especially by how we serve. When I'm not sure where to start, I just think, "who do I wish knew what I know?" What's a full-time missionary anyway? We're all full-time, and we're all missionaries, just with different assignments :) 

Love you all so much! 
Hermana Hawkes 

"My Cholula sauce is your Cholula sauce." --Sister Bastian 
"What do you mean 'disappear into the forests of Mexico?'"--Hna Staker 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 1, 2019 Hasta La Vista Rama Agua Caliente!

May 27, 2019 A Date for Every Day of the Week

April 22, 2019 Call me Chuey