Little Mission Highlights: Companions

COMPANIONS

Caroline Stanfield--
Princess Buttercup, and trainer. Long blonde hair, long lashes, square frame glasses. I absolutely loved her. It took us time to warm up to each other-- she isn't initially warm and friendly-- but we quickly hit it off. I loved her for how genuine and self-aware she was. She was never afraid of an adventure, and never made me feel like a "new" or "young" missionary. We'd have long deep talks. We always had something to talk about. She was honest; I knew I could be open with her, and I knew she'd give it to me straight. She hadn't wanted to come on a mission, but trusted the Lord enough to do it, and dedicated herself to it. At the end of our two transfers she told me that during her time with me she learned to love the mission. I think many of the young men we taught were secretly in love with her!

Margaret Watkins
The Brains. Smart and she knew it. Our brains were wired so differently we struggled to communicate. I never quite felt that I figured her out. I was "her hardest out of 7 companions." We clashed a lot on our ideas and our perspective of missionary work, but I grew a lot as a missionary when I was with her. I spent more time among nonmembers, focused more on planning, and dove into the scriptures and Preach My Gospel. She shook my confidence in myself a bit because she was very corrective. By the end of our transfer together, however, I'd come to really feel for her, and I did come to admire and be grateful for her. Deep down she struggled to feel empathy and truly connect with people, and I think she resented my readiness to meet and get to know people. She was a spitfire missionary who changed many lives, but got a little caught up in the motes rather than the beams.

Melissa Jensen
The Comedian. Only together a transfer in a trio. They had both previously been in the area so it felt a bit like 3rd wheeling all the time because they already knew how to do the work with just two. She was friendly, warm, and irreverent, however, and made us all laugh constantly. She had all these funny little catchphrases, like "Abusive!" and "That's jacked-up elder!" and "Straight up, there's a coyote in your house!" We had a few good, deep talks. Always struggled with Spanish, but was so sincere people could feel it. I never felt like I got to know her fully, but she was bubbly and so much fun.

Olivia Ciarlante
The Enthusiast. We were together for three transfers, and by the end we had really grown together and learned how to work equally yoked as a team. Hermana Ciarlante was loud, vibrant, and fearlessly and apologetically herself. From her I learned about radical self-acceptance, laughter, choosing positivity, and finding joy in all the different forms of missionary work. She loved to find because she adored talking to people. If it was awkward, we'd just laugh it off. We had a real vision for our area and went after it like tigers. She was also opinionated and strong-willed, which made it difficult when she disagreed, but she was quick to express it and never stayed upset long. I loved her rawness, her realness, and her passion for all the little things like feeding people buttery grits and vintage clothing.

Kayley Ballard
The Life Coach. My first trainee! She arrived with a good head on her shoulders and a vision. She struggled a bit to adjust; she was so particular, organized, and opinionated, but we quickly got into a rhythm. We shared a passion for popcorn and greek yogurt, and she had so much good common sense. That transfer we worked until we dropped, with little to no success, but she pushed on with incredible strength. I called her "My life coach" because she was studying to be a nurse and taught me about nutrition, fitness, essential oils, and psychology. Once I learned her little quirks and pet peeves, and  we really bonded and became fast friends. She had big ideas and expert planning and teaching skills right off the bat. She was picky on the little things, but the big things she was so understanding and kind.

Xochilt Alvarado
The Jedi Knight. Quiet at first, but quickly revealed a silly side. Refused to answer questions about herself, and had been through a whole lot in her personal life. I would talk to her in Spanish and she'd respond in English, often in one of about 7 different voices and accents. She'd even do a continual dialogue with herself as we drove places with a progressing plot line. Hated anything overly sentimental, but had a deep and abiding faith in the gospel. Expert teacher, and had a gift for helping the people quickly feel comfortable with her. She nick-named me Chuey and it STUCK. I really came to love and respect her as a dear friend, although she could be moody and didn't like to be vulnerable. We went home together, and stayed up late that night looking out the window and watching her flash her tiny light-saber. She had a deep goodness and love for God.

Grace Staker
The Hero. She saved me for sure! We took over our area (there was another set of missionaries previously), and I trained her, but I could swear she taught me more than I taught her. We clicked quickly, and she became one of my very best friends. She was obsessed with the Avengers, and we had the same sense of humor. We'd make each other just cry laughing. She is one of those people that helps you understand the term "kindred spirit." For example, I once made "purple pasta" with beets and she thought I was an absolute genius! She was young, but so mature and wise for her age. Hna Staker talked our parents into going out for ice cream together, and her parents came to my homecoming. Her Spanish came quickly, almost too quickly, and she had to train directly after our time together.

Marianne Coenen
Horsemaster. She rode show horses competitively! The best last companion you could ask for. So spunky, so kind, and hard to stress-out. She was very patient with me, and loved the people immediately. She had a bit of a hard time locking-her heart, and after we prayed she would always pipe up with how cute our husbands had to be getting or commenting on her love for David Archuleta. She was a tough cookie--would never admit to being tired or sick--so our first week I said yes to ceviche at a member's home not knowing she was having shooting stomach pain from Mexico. Apparently the B.R.A.T diet is B.R.A.T.C. I was so grateful for her positivist and love the last transfer as I got a little worn out at the end. She knew how to quickly connect with people through laughter, and although she had very little Spanish (she would confuse the word cute "chulo" with the word porkchop "chuleta") she was so endearing the people just loved her anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 1, 2019 Hasta La Vista Rama Agua Caliente!

May 27, 2019 A Date for Every Day of the Week

April 22, 2019 Call me Chuey