October 8, 2018 Buscamos Maria?




Hi all! 

FIRST THINGS FIRST: Happiest of birthdays to Jordan. I still remember being six and all my friends would be talking about how annoying their brothers were. They'd turn to me and I'd just kind of shrug and say, "actually, mine is kind of awesome...really awesome." I hope it has been the best day, and that it has somehow involved breakfast cereal, Mike-and-Ikes, outer space, D.I. runs, and time to work on whatever new project you've been thinking about for weeks. Happy birthday to the person who'd delay his own math homework--hours sometimes--to help me with mine, likes to laugh in the greeting card aisle, practices harmonica at all hours of the morning, and who never fails to come in with the harmony part of "A Lion Sleeps Tonight." You're a punk, but also sort of the best ever. I hope it was the best day! 

Here in Fontana, different parts of town have more Spanish speakers than others, so when we're tracting we often look for little clues to know whether to introduce ourselves in English or in Spanish. I have worked hard on this so at this point it may be one of my spiritual gifts (I'm completely kidding!). Here are a few of my best clues so far for Spanish speakers: 
1) Broom by the door
2) Lots of little statues (saints or animals), and little plants in little pots
3) Christmas lights on the palm trees 
4) trellis with plastic flowers (this is how we find the Abuelitas! Olga, one of the people we are teaching, has a little fountain which she dressed up with lipstick and a flower crown) 
5) "Gansito" and "Pinguino" wrappers (equivalent of Hostess) 
6) Low-riding trucks: big trend here in Fontana right now! 
7) Lighted shrine to the virgin Mary 
8) Fences mounted with Lions
9) Chihuahuas! 
If we see a mat that says (and I quote) "wipe your puppy paws," we know we're usually not at the right door. 

The best part about Fontana is the people, hands down. Warm, inviting, with a whole lot of faith. Although not everyone is open to hearing our message, nearly everyone is willing to talk, and almost all have a deep faith in God. Many of the people we talk to are Catholic, and the ones that practice just light up when we ask if we can talk about Christ. "He is everything!" they tell us, "We're nothing without Him." Some missionaries think it's difficult to teach here when so many people already "have a religion," often one that spans generations and goes deep into family tradition, but I actually think it's pretty wonderful. People who truly love the Savior, and have made Him a part of their lives, are always open to talk about Him. Our message can still ring true. 

A man stopped me in the library the other day and said to me, "Now, I'm a very curious man...I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you believe in electricity?" Just this week we were also asked how we feel about the internet, and blood-transfusions. Oh, dear. I think they're thinking of the Amish! 

This week I accidentally spoiled the Book of Mormon for Jesse. I didn't know it was possible to "spoil scripture," but you would have thought I told him the ending of the next Star Wars movie. Jesse is indigenous Mexican, part of the Mexica (Me-she-ka) culture, and so someone commented that he's a "real Lamanite." Jesse, based on the Lamanites he's read about so far, was pretty worried about that. We tried to explain, and I said something like, "Well at the end, the Lamanites are the only ones left!" Jesse's eyes got as big as dinner plates. "Whaat? I haven't gotten there yet!!" Rats. We told him about Samuel the Lamanite though and he felt a lot better! 


Wasn't conference absolutely spectacular? I absolutely took it for granted before. Studying the Restoration has made it so real to me exactly what having a living prophet means. I can't believe I ever let anything get in the way of watching it. Hna Watkins and I worked so hard getting everyone ready that at one point we turned to each other and said, "I wonder if we're getting people TOO excited?" Apparently it wasn't a problem, because no one joined us for the broadcast, but are we defeated? Not a bit. It's all recorded so there's second chances for everyone. Watching with the Juniper Ward was just the best. Jesse was insanely excited, and Carlitos even crawled under the pews to sit by me for a little bit (He's five, hates the name Juan Carlos, and gives us surprise-attack hugs we can't avoid) and likes to eat my mints which he says are too "picoso." 
I've never been very good at "preparing for conference," but this time I really tried to pray and prepare questions to listen for. It was amazing how nearly every talk seemed geared to something I'd been thinking about, or someone we are teaching. The Restoration continues, and our prophet and apostles are the real deal! 

I love you all, and hope you have the best week! 
Hna Hawkes


I am buying Christmas presents early, but need advice. I don't want to spoil things, but most everything is from a South American country. I think the things are cool, and they are authentic, but since I'm not actually serving there I wonder if it's lame? I also want to buy a few things for myself, but it's a bit pricy 25+ and I'm not sure whether or not it's worth the splurge. I'm thinking to get everyone in our family one nice gift because I think I'm only going to be able to send this one (birthdays are too hard, and I'm determined to send only things you can't already get yourselves at the store). Can you ask Jordan what kind of jewelry Camille typically wears too? I know what I love but I don't want to get something she won't actually want to wear. 
I fell in love with a traditional Mexican dress for about 40, but am super unsure. It's pretty simple, I could get away with wearing it to church honestly, but I don't know whether it's a good souvenir price or not, and I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to hard. I love the culture, but I'm not sure how fully I'm allowed to embrace it if that makes sense, at least in how I dress? Wouldn't want to offend anyone or anything. Can white girls where traditional Mexican clothing? Everyone thinks I'm Mexican until they talk to me so maybe that makes it ok, haha. 

Really tough week with companionship this week, UNBELIEVABLY tough. She kind of blew up at me and I have just felt awful about myself. I'm more and more aware that I'm not a very good listener, which she pointed out recently, and that I have a "high-interrupt" personality. I really want to work on it, and you've both been absolutely amazing at listening to me over the years, so I want tips. I want to change! I want to be a listener. 

Love you both so much it hurts. Loved hearing about your Taiwan adventure, and you don't even know how grateful I am for your words each week. Getting letters really is the highlight of everything. It's good to know someone is cheering for me even when the going gets rough. But i love the people here. They took a while to warm up (especially the ward) but they are the best and most giving people I've ever known. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 1, 2019 Hasta La Vista Rama Agua Caliente!

May 27, 2019 A Date for Every Day of the Week

April 22, 2019 Call me Chuey