November 12, 2018 The Prodigal's Son












Hi all! 

Today I got yelled at for wearing pants! While in a skirt! By an 82 year-old minister in a vest suit and hat. In Spanish! What an adventure. He sailed into the salon where we were getting a trim with a huge smile, with his grand-daughter tagging along behind. 

I asked him how long he'd lived in Desert Hot Springs, and he replied with his medical history, which then turned into a sermon. The poor man has been on dialysis for years, but has faith that God is going to heal him. He was sure of it! He even had a date picked out! Then he rose dramatically to his feet and stood directly in front of me. "It's because I have given my whole life to God. We have to be sanctified. Do you understand? SANCTIFIED." He got more and more energetic as he went on. He wagged his finger in my face. "You really shouldn't wear earrings. Young girls should not wear earrings. Did your mother raise you to wear earrings??" He didn't even let me answer before going on, "And no one should ever get a divorce either. Or paint their face." He reached a climax: "Y PANTALONES SON UN ABOMINACION!!" He then realized I was wearing a skirt and congratulated me. "Do you ever wear pants?" Oh dear. I couldn't figure out how much of the truth to tell! My response was, "Well not today!" 

Luckily Hna Ciarlante finished her haircut just then and we escaped, but not before he told her she really shouldn't wear lipstick (which she wasn't) and commissioned me to teach my companions all I had learned, and told us it was a pleasure and may God bless us. I laughed so hard. Even if he may be a little confused on some things, it's always good to bump into someone who believes in anything so passionately! 

This week was full of little miracles. One was a man we met outside an apartment and gave a book of Mormon too. We returned a few days later to follow up, only to find that no "Carlos" lived there at all, only Elena and her two young kids. We were convinced all week that "Carlos" was surely an angel (albeit an angel who asked if we were Jehovah's witnesses). We've started teaching Elena, and despite a busy schedule she is anxious to learn. Turns out "Carlos" is really her boyfriend "Alfred." Not entirely sure where we went wrong, but they both have an "a" so that's something? 

The theme of the week has definitely been the prodigal son. We rewatched the bible video, and I'd forgotten how much I love the story. We then bumped into a Josh Garrel song ("At the Table") with the same theme and Hna Jensen can't stop playing it. I realized how many of the people we're teaching relate to the story...how much I relate to the story. There's Hno Ramos; an alchoholic just regaining awareness of the world and with an urgency to change. There's Manuel, who has wanted to be baptized for years so he can bring the priesthood into his home (he's come to church for years but never been taught until now) but is scared it's too late and that he's not strong enough to leave it all behind.  Then there's Jose, whom we just started teaching this week. 

We met Jose's mom Maria when we said hi to her in the street one night. Without anything else, she invited us in (I have no idea but this is the 2nd time this has happened??). It was clear she just needed to talk. She told us how much she wanted us to teach her youngest son, Jose. Our first lesson was a little rough, as it began with Maria telling about every little mistake Jose has ever made and bursting into tears. Jose just sat there all dusty with his sledgehammer (he had just gotten home from work) looking really uncomfortable and smiling at us nervously. Maria then dried her eyes, sniffed, and told us she needed to go to the grocery store. We were honestly a little relieved! We love her, but teaching them together has been a trick! 

Jose wants what everyone wants, deep down. He wants to be happy, and he wants it to last. When you ask people what matters to them, what really matters to them, it always comes down to that. They want security, and to be loved. They want to know that it isn't too late, and that there really is more to this whole thing than just day after day of making it through. My mission has opened my eyes to a world I never really understood; a world of addiction, broken relationships, broken dreams. Jose had been through it all, and he's no older than I am. 

It's really the most wonderful thing, to be able to tell people that there is more, and that it isn't too late. We gave Jose a Book of Mormon and promised him he could find that happiness, that lasting happiness, and he got this look in his eyes and I think it was hope. He believed it. 

The whole story of the restoration is God reaching out over, and over, and over again. I love in the prodigal son where it says, "and when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and ran to him." With so many of these people, they've met missionaries before, often many times. They've felt God guiding them, but in the words of Jose, "they just get lost again." Really that's what I'm doing out here, inviting people to come back. God is waiting with open arms, waiting for just one or two timid steps towards him before he comes running. 

I keep hearing about the fires, but we're blessed to be far away. The only sign we've seen is that the moon has an orange tinge from all the smoke. We're definitely praying for California. 

Love you all, have the best week! 
Love, 
Hna Hawkes


I have absolutely loved both your letters lately. I've been treasuring reading about family members, and am slowly picking my way through Maria Jansen's life sketch. I painted her, but hadn't read much about her life. Mom, your letter about embracing life and focusing on what's really important was exactly what I've needed. 

I've struggled this transfer to shake off the effects of last transfer. God really blessed me to be with Hna Jensen, though, who understands exactly why last transfer was hard (Hna Watkins was her trainer). I've struggled to recover my confidence and to start liking myself again. She really shattered my sense of who I was as a missionary. I learned a tremendous amount from her, and she's an extraordinarily good missionary, but she was not kind to me. This week though, I've been focusing instead on how grateful I am, and it has helped me find the joy in the work again. Gratitude, and focus on the people fix a lot. Grateful to be here, grateful for my two sweet, bubbly companions, grateful that God gave me the mission he did. I read Lauren's latest letter and my heart hurt for her! Holy Cow I have it cush. The people here are just amazing, and I wouldn't trade it. Not for a travelouge or better pictures. I truly want to be here, and I don't want to miss a second! 

love you both so, so much! DAD CONGRATS ON ELECTIONS!! YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME LAST WEEK. President said something about it and realization hit me! I prayed for ya! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 1, 2019 Hasta La Vista Rama Agua Caliente!

May 27, 2019 A Date for Every Day of the Week

April 22, 2019 Call me Chuey